Rev. Stephen P. "Gutty" Gutridge

Rev. Stephen P. "Gutty" Gutridge
This blog is my comments on current cultural and church happenings along with answers to your questions. I will make an honest effort to answer everything you ever wanted to ask about God, faith, the Bible, Jesus Christ, etc.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When You Pray, for What Do You Pray?

This past Saturday morning I had the great privilege of leading someone in a prayer to receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. I was flying so high the rest of the day that nothing could bring me down.

I have had great experiences in my life; my Salvation, my wedding, to Paula, the birth of my children, my Ordination as Minister of Word and Sacrament, my oldest son's wedding, and the birth of my grandchildren just to name a few. I would suggest, no experience comes close to the joy of seeing someone into God's Kingdom. I have been permitted to lead many people into a faith commitment over the years. The Holy Spirit has graciously allowed me to participate in these many rebirths. It is the ultimate human experience.

This week I have been challenged in how I pray and for what I pray. I pray for my family, for my church, for health, for healing, for financial blessings, etc. Sadly, I seldom pray for souls. There are individuals that I pray for and have consistently done so for some time. If, as I have suggested, the greatest human experience is seeing a soul into God's Kingdom then it seems that that would be my primary prayer.

"If you would win souls, you must seek them. The sportsman knows that his game will not come to the window of his house to be shot. The fisherman knows that the fish will not come swimming up to his house. Do they not go abroad and seek their prey? And so must you and I." Charles H. Spurgeon from E-Word Today for February 27, 2010.

My challenge today and the days to come is that my heart would break for lost people. My only interest is that Jesus lead me to the paths of lost sinners. I ask that He give me sensitivity to see their need and the grace and wisdom to answer their questions and most importantly, ask if they would like to enter God's Kingdom.

Will you also make this your prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment